I was sitting in a crowded auditorium, filled with the anxious murmur that accompanies any large opening night. Parents and family members scouted the room as they looked to claim any folding-metal chair that might be vacant. The lights of the gymnasium flickered, indicating that the show was to begin momentarily. I quickly glanced at Jack next to me and smiled, then caught the eye of a familiar-looking gentleman to my left. Why, it was the President of the United States, President Obama! Clad in a brown-corduroy blazer, he deeply resembled Jason Bateman. To his left, his wife, Phylicia Rashad beamed with glee and pride as she steadied the circa-1985 camcorder on her shoulder.
Wow, the President's children must be in this play, too!
The curtain rose and instead of a second-graders' play, it was the behind-the-scenes view of the Hershey's factory. Just then, Betty White jumped out and said,
"Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!"
************************
And that is what it's like to be in my head! That was an actual dream I had last night. I think it's because we watched the movie Juno (very cute and interestingly pro-life) and Jason Bateman starred in this flick.
This weekend's been pretty relaxing so far. The Edge came up Friday night and after returning from taking one of my departments to dinner on Friday night, she and I settled in for a long night of girl chatter. You know when you sit and catch up for two hours, then glance at the clock and realize six hours have actually gone by? Yeah, one of those nights. We punctuated our girl time on Saturday with pedicures. I stand by an earlier statement I made; most of the world's evils can be solved via pedicure. Yes, I'm a woman. No, I don't have Uggs or Bearpaws. (Not yet, anyway).
The final bit of news is that Jack and I finally settled on a church. It took seven weeks and five different churches to figure out what we already knew. When we bought our house, we moved about 20 minutes south of our previous home. Our church was three blocks from our house (our trend...we always live within 2-3 blocks of our parish...it just makes it easier to make mass every weekend. You have no excuse when you can practically see the church's steeple over the beer you're enjoying on the chaise lounger on your back porch).
I digressed. So we tried every church in our new five-mile radius. Some were very flowery and new agey. Some were conservative and cold, some were decent enough but had terrible music. So today's decision was to drive 20 minutes back to our old parish. It had all the elements we were looking for, plus rockstar music and a vibrant parish community. Despite my challenging schedule, I have been entertaining thoughts of getting re-involved with RCIA or other faith formation groups.
In a sense, it completes the transition to our new home. We now have a dentist, a Meijer, a dry cleaner, a primary care physician, a Buffalo Wild Wings, and a church. Facets of a routine humanity? Check!
I dreamt that I knew of a terrorist plot to drop thousands of killer bees in our community, so when I heard the drone overhead, I told my friends to run for the underground building (much like the underground library at Purdue) while everyone else just stood around looking at what they thought were just bumblebees. We were safe inside, and after a while couldn't hear the bees - or the people for that matter, I figured everyone must be dead and the bees had moved on. I opened a window and in jumped a little frog. Not just any frog, one of those incredibly poisonous tree frogs from the Amazon...and then more started to try and get it and I realized the bees had transformed into these tiny killer frogs. THEN, all of sudden, it was time to go to prom, and I hadn't prepared, so I just grabbed the dress I wore the year before (my actual Senior prom dress) and I was going with a boy that I was in grade school with that I never really liked. It was at that point I realized it was my 10 year reunion, and it was being held at the same location as that year's prom. Hm. I have the weirdest dreams when I take benedryl before bed.
ReplyDeleteWOW. That is worse than the adventures my brain matter concocts! I didn't even take benedryl; I think my dream occurred because I was able to sleep a full REM cycle!
ReplyDeleteSo the $64,000 question is, was it the silver prom dress or was it the blue one? I'm partial to the silver one! :)
It was the blue one - and amazingly in my dream I still fit into it! I actually liked the blue one better, just because it fit better than the silver one. However, the silver one looked FANTASTIC on you!
ReplyDelete