Sunday, November 6, 2011

This Soup's For You

Travel season is over! I'll write about that later- I am still percolating the knowledge and experiences I acquired in Boca Raton, trying to let my soul catch up and the muddy waters settle to make sense out of the week.

But since Daylight Savings Time ended last night, my seasonal affect disorder is in full effect today. I glanced up from my laptop, noticed the shadows of dusk in the living room and my body thought it was 6:30. It was 4 p.m. Ugh!

We landed last night at 8pm from Fort Lauderdale (in shorts and sandals, I might add) and immediately turned all our clocks back an hour...watches, car clocks, clocks at home, etc. In our extra hour of relaxation, we ordered a pizza.

Boca is a five-star, old money, wonderful place. But they don't have Chicagoan pizza.

I quickly went unconscious on the couch and awoke to Jack trying to walk me, zombie style, to bed. I slept 12 hours without moving. I had not had a good night's sleep in at least two weeks and wouldn't have cared if a mouse ran across my face.

WAIT, I take that back. Please don't let mice free in my house! Or spiders. EEEK! One of my friends gave her son a dropper full of medicine today, for his ear infection. As her son took the dropper's liquid, she saw a little spider, trying to force its way out of the dropper to save its life. Um, yeah. I guess we *do* eat eight spiders in our sleep. That toddler almost ate a spider while he was AWAKE!

Anyway, Jack and I worked all day today, trying to dig out from the piles of work. While we toiled, Jack brewed a tremendous vat of beef barley soup (secret ingredient- cloves). On the plane last night, we shared recipes with the woman next to me who works at a competitor hospital. She looked like an ICU nurse. I asked her what she does for a living and she answered, "I'm an ICU nurse."

BINGO.

That was her secret ingredient, not ours. Intrigued, we tried it and it's fabulous.

We always make soup on Sunday's. It's our tradition. So far this soup season, we've made chicken soup, ham and bean soup, chili, beef barley, and ham and potato. Next week is creamy red pepper soup, courtesy of my competitor ICU nurse!

Here's to an impending winter, lots of soup, and a quickly-fading tan. And please pray for me around 1pm Eastern on Wednesday!

4 comments:

  1. What's at 1 p.m. on Wednesday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are you bringing me some of that home made soup? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What DOES an ICU nurse look like? I only know what an ER nurse looks like. Coarse, abrasive and frowning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lots of comments! Thanks, guys!

    Kassie- I had an opportunity to speak to 600 people on Wednesday!

    Edge- I still have a bowl of it frozen, if you're willing to drive out here, it's yours!

    And RN Starbucks- An ICU nurse has a firm demeanor, is black and white in their opinions, and has no problem getting in your face if they do not agree with you. At least that's been MY experience with ICU nurses!

    ReplyDelete