Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Flashing Back to '09

I found this a while back and thought it extremely appropriate...


I dreamt about how I was going to write this post. Should I start with "I got the job!" Or something more demure such as, "I somehow survived to the finish!"

Or maybe just, "I'm completely sidelined with labyrinthitis and it's forcing me to stop and be sick and reflect a bit on the craziness and drama of the last 3.5 years..."

Whatever the opening line may be, I am moving to Indy. I accepted a wonderful promotion at one of our flagship hospitals and I keep having to pinch myself to make sure it is actually happening.

And the inner ear stuff? It hit me instantaneously at one of my Franciscan leadership retreats. Here I was, sitting, absorbing the astounding lessons from America's foremost expert in Catholic Social Theory and the room started spinning...

...Not spinning as in, merry-go-round...

...but spinning as though I'd had 6 cocktails...

...and I was on a pitching boat, far out to sea....

It was fun. Really. I had no idea I was experiencing my first bought of vertigo.

It ended up with two medically-trained fellow retreat colleagues, leading me up to my hotel room while I staggered down the hallway and tried to not yarmit on them.

Pretty picture, eh? Humility lives!

Luckily, one of my colleagues is an ED physician who pronounced me free of serious cardiac or stroke-related symptoms. Whew.

[Now, could y'all please leave so I can yarmit in peace???!?]

After a harmless visit to the ED the next morning and several IV meds, Jack drove me home so I could lay still in a dark room with Downton Abbey on in the background.

Husbands rock. So does Downton Abbey if you haven't yet discovered it.

Anyway, BEFORE the inner ear infection hit me like a sledgehammer, I solidified my transition to St. Gonzo's. Remember St. Gonzo's? I have gone there for many a meeting in the last few years and interviewed for a dream position. It's the position all my training, stress, and stomach acid prepared me for. When the offer was finalized, I could hardly believe my luck, blessing, and opportunity.

The job is huge. Massive. Way bigger than my experience prepares me for. But somehow, I know it's a good fit and that I will have a whole lot to keep me busy in the coming years. Honestly, I can't wait. A new city. Several new hospitals. New politics, new physicians, new employees. A new house. Again. Sigh!

It was very difficult breaking the news to my employees earlier this week. We've grown together and in some cases, grown up together. Yet, everyone seems happy that I have the opportunity to move on- but only verifying that my email and texting will still work in Indy. It makes me feel extremely humbled...I had no idea people leaned on me like this. I feel like this tiny part of something so much bigger than myself and we're all trying to advance the same Mission.

That's why I get out of bed each day. And when I'm leaving, it becomes even more concrete to me.

So, four weeks from today, I will lock my office door for the last time. I will bid my beloved employees and managers goodbye and throw one last joke my boss's way. I will walk out of Administration and drive out of the parking lot, thanking St. Fozzie's for the unbelievable experiences. I cut my managerial teeth at St. Fozzie's and the leadership team is second-to-none.

Yet, I will drive away and not look back. I'm getting rather practiced at this- leaving and only looking forward. The drill will be much the same: Jack will stay behind and sell our house and finish up his work commitments. I will go ahead to Indy, secure a residence, and start the new job. We'll enter into a commuter marriage again, but this time we know it is only for a few months and not a year like last time.

Wow. I could copy-and-paste the first 50 blog posts I wrote back in 2009.

Here's to the future...whatever terrifying and wonderful adventures await.


[It just makes me laugh that my last post on the blog was about normalcy. Ha!]

No comments:

Post a Comment