Friday, March 27, 2009

Bed by the Window?

Part of this grand transition is teaching me a great deal about persistence. Even though I have the radical new job and educational plans in place, I have to keep going with my usual day-to-day responsibilities. Hence the "just keep swimming" philosophy. For instance, I'm wading through a massive 38,000 line Excel spreadsheet for a pending contract change, while grasping at overall trends and patterns in the data. If I didn't see another Excel spreadsheet for the rest of my life, I would die a happy fish. It's like when you play Tetris for hours and when you close your eyes, you still see blocks falling. It's the same phenomenon here...Except when I just closed my eyes, I saw those little yellow Lego people waving at me and mouthing the word, "anarchy." Do I need sleep? Perhaps.

That reminds me of a stellar joke that went around a few weeks ago:

"During a visit to a mental institution, I asked the Director, 'How do you determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized?'

'Well,' said the Director, 'we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub.'

'Oh, I understand,' I said. 'A normal person would use the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup.'

'No.' said the Director, 'A normal person would pull the plug and drain the bathtub. Do you want a bed by the window?"

I admit it, I fell for it, too.

Tomorrow, Jack and I are venturing into Wrigleyville to scope out the apartment scene, live and in-person. I'm still half-scared, half-excited and I hope this little trip will tip me over the 50% mark to full-on excitement. I will post pictures of the contending apartments and may even request your feedback, dear readers. Details to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment