Saturday, August 22, 2009

For Old Hags

Yes, I'm young and a newbie on the hospital administration scene. You all know I am having trouble with credibility, just because I'm a woman AND a young one, at that, in a 55+ man's world. I hold myself up straight, speak as coherently as possible, and try to project authentic confidence. Yet when I tell people I've been married for 8 years, they tell me it's not possible and there's no way I'm over 24. 24? Really?

In regard to looks, I already wear classier-styled suits (opposed to the trendy, low-cut variety from Express or Limited), and I cut my hair to a shorter bob. What else should I do? Start smoking? Drink a lot of coffee and red wine to stain my teeth? Spend more time in the sun? Get my hair stylist to put gray streaks in my hair?

I asked my secretary how old she thought I was…she said 24.

Dangit!

So then I asked her if she had any feedback on how I could look older (I know, I know, I shouldn't be sweating this…but I am!). She said she's consult her Glamour or Cosmo magazines and read all about how young women in the corporate world can look older! She was kidding. Maybe there's an injection that will add wrinkles to your face? She told me that yes, it's a physical appearance thing (that I just LOOK young…it might be the freckles), but she also thinks it's a state-of-being. She called me playful and optimistic and cheerful, all of which can be interpreted as young.

That made me feel better…I can hack being a playful and optimistic executive. However, I wonder how much of my credibility is tied to my appearance and the perception I'm even younger than I really am. This is such a weird problem to have…does anyone have any ideas for me? Can I get plastic surgery to look older?!

2 comments:

  1. OOOOh, I know. Why don't you get gold-rimmed, half-moon reading glasses and wear them on a chain around your neck?! That'll add at least 15 years to your age!

    Or, you could purposefully wear bright blue eyshadow and feather your bangs, indicative of your college years during the late 80's? Then again, they might just think you're a punk who's trying to channel the newest "tween" styles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a strand of pearls (or switch all your accessories to pearl). That'll add some years to your appearance.

    ReplyDelete