Thursday, August 18, 2011

Adventures in Babysitting

The past two weeks have been very full-- working 10-12 hours a day, come home, run, eat, quick shower, email, set up coffee pot for next morning, bed. I've missed blogging, as I haven't been able to vent, I mean, decompress from my adventures at work.

Or, more appropriately stated, my adventures in babysitting.

It never ceases to amaze me...just how much of management is babysitting. And I'm firmly convinced that managing professionals is way harder than managing front-line staff. Managers are cagey and tend to (try to) play games. I believe in the school of tough love; I'm not going to stroke your ego and tell you you're wonderful if you're not compliant with the expectations and turning out the results we need. I will leave you alone if you are doing your thing and doing it well. But I'm learning that I turn into a micro-manager if you, well, if you demonstrate that you need micro-managing.

So as a result, I have three managers on work performance action plans. I'm guiding two other managers through work performance action plans for front-line staff. I need an action plan to keep track of my action plans. In the two newest departments I inherited, I am a glorified babysitter.

I had to write up another one of my managers this week for insubordination. Seriously. I get that I'm a woman and I'm on the young side (26 years younger than you, dear manager), but I am still responsible for you, your progress (or lack thereof), and your department's progress. When you say you're going to do something, I expect you to do it and to do it well. When there are expectations for all of hospital leadership, I will hold your feet to the fire as MY feet are being held to the fire by MY boss. And most of all, I expect you to support me as I have been doing my darnedest to support you and NOT assassinate my character behind my back to other managers. Yes, dear manager, three separate sources told me about your exploits.

It was time to TALK and have one of those crucial conversations.

So I did what any well-meaning, passionate leader would do. I donned my b*tch shoes, practiced my mean glare, and quietly scripted my speech in the ladies restroom so I could watch my own facial expressions. I hate the expression "Come to Jesus" meetings, but that's what it was. This was my fourth "Jesus" meeting in my job and I'm realizing they're not that hard. You just have to be sure of your facts, certain of the circumstance, and hold your ground. The b*tch shoes give me power. They tell people "Look, I want to help you, but if you don't behave, I'm not afraid to bust your chops." Even for managers who are 26 years older than me and have grand kids. Who cares?

I seldom care what people think of me and I strongly feel that women have a different set of leadership skills then men. I know this is stereotypical, but men are often hard-edged, firm, and unwavering. Women, by virtue of their 'nurture,' have greater chances of being team-builders and positive collaborators (see Washington Post article from last Friday).

However, it's undeniably tough when you have a generation gap AND a gender gap. You know how you bridge that gap? You wear your b*tch shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment