Monday, June 14, 2010

Right Place, Right Time

Life hasn't been ALL that bad lately.

Last week was 100 mph, especially Thursday and Friday. On Thursday, I received an unexpected invitation to half the big corporate execs meeting at St. Fozzie's. This surprised me because, while I eventually want to end up in that room, I didn't think I would be allowed in just yet. EVOO fought for my admission and it was a tremendous brain-stretching morning. Then I ran to two of my departments and explained the strategic plan to all the employees. It is Administration's dream (and goal) to have all employees able to recite (or at least understand) the strategic plan.

Thursday night turned into me walking five miles and collapsing in a heap.

Then bright and early on Friday morning, I attended the biweekly Service Excellence meeting and during that meeting, decided to cancel my big afternoon throughput brainstorm I had planned. Half the attendees were out or leaving early. I asked one of the attendees if he minded if I canceled and he said, "No, I don't mind; I have to leave early anyway. I'm going to the Crosstown Classic."

I gave him a hard time and told him I'm deeply pitying him.

He then said, "I have an extra ticket...can you leave within the next hour?"

I'm a total Wrigley virgin and had no idea how to get there, how much time I needed to traverse midtown traffic with the Blackhawks parade in full swing, the opening day of the Jazz Fest, AND the Crosstown. I didn't have a jersey. I didn't have a clue.

As it turns out, I still haven't been in Wrigley Field. Our seats were on one of the Sheffield Rooftops. Apparently, these are enviable tickets (sorry, Edge) and while they afforded us great views, they also included all you can eat and drink:
This was taken from the front row of the rooftop box. Now, this was before the broiling sun came out....as the game started, it was a balmy 86 degrees that made a Floridian summer seem light. As the sun peeked out in the 3rd inning, the heat rivaled Hell itself and I felt myself wilting into a Caribbean sweat in the Sox jersey EVOO picked up for me on his way out to the game. It was HOT but in a sea of Cubs fans, my friend A-Rod, EVOO, and I found a few south siders and the White Sox fans united for a win.

It was a terrific day to be in Chicago. I love this city.

2 comments:

  1. When you say, "I love this city," it makes me say, "YAY, I'm so happy for you!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nurse Starbucks. Your happy posts make me feel better about your stressful posts. I'm glad you had some downtime, it soundede like you needed it.

    ReplyDelete