Friday, December 3, 2010

Illusion of Control

It's been one heck of a week...between the late evenings and the two physician dinners I had this week, I cannot wait to camp out in my bed on a snowy day tomorrow and watch movies. To me, there are few things more relaxing than snuggling up in my nest of feathers (we have a down comforter and a feather bed) and watching movies. I finished several big responsibilities this week, including a massive audit of the annual mandatory education completion rates by my entire staff and the last 13 of the annual evaluations. Talk about a monkey off my back!

So on Monday night (after running around like a nut all day), I drove up to OakBrook to woo a new primary care physician. It was a good dinner, but I must rave about Maggiano's an upper-class Italian chain of restaurants. I usually hate chain restaurants, but I had a salmon dish that was just awe-inspiring. Check that place out if you get the opportunity. Tonight, I accompanied the Wound Clinic and physician staff to Coopershawk. I've raved about Coopershawk before...go there, too, if you ever get the chance!

I had several HR and irate physician issues this week (long story) so among all the stress, I somehow completed a fair amount of work on one of my Muppet Corporate committees, Patient Flow. Locally, at St. Fozzie's, this touches on patient throughput through the hospital. It provides us a lot of opportunities for process improvement. I also spoke at the Leader Forum, the monthly meeting at which all hospital management is present. While most people dread public speaking, I am finding that I thrive on it. It gives me a high. Isn't that weird?

For the first time since I've started in this position, I feel as though I have the illusion of control. I finally fully understand what occurs in my own departments and in the services we offer. I am working with the managers to construct business plans so we can enhance and evolve their services to align with the strategic plan. I finally feel, despite the long hours, that I'm settling in.

So cue the conversation I had with Nurse Jackie yesterday, that they are considering changing my job description. I have no idea what this means or where I'm going...just that, when I finally feel like things are settling down (work wise!), I'll get to mix it up again and start over!

A quick house update...it appears that we are still on track for a December 11 move. This is good news. It feels like forever since we bought that house and Jack and I are just ready to move already! Bring it on! I'm anxious to put up that Christmas tree and get settled in my new home!

1 comment:

  1. YIKES! That sounds crazy & stressful. While it looks like I'll still be doing the 2 department thing next year, I did convince them to make my 2nd position salaried as well (it was written as an hourly position) AND asked for a $4000 raise. I won't know for a couple months if they approve the raise. However, the ultra-conservative, nutty supervisor did re-write the job description with me and included tons of details so as to make sure they have every reason to give me the raise. He had no clue I was barely making half what he is. I think seeing the numbers and knowing how hard I bust my ass, he was willing to do what he could to help me out. "Put every little thing in this job description. I don't want them to have any reason to say 'no' to the raise." I am blessed!

    ReplyDelete