Sunday, February 14, 2010

Speech and First Look

I had a couple of "regularly scheduled" blogs post during the last couple of days. They're place-holders. Let me tell you what *really* happened these last few days! Go get a snack because this will be lengthy!

Let's start with Tuesday. I had lunch with Bob the Builder, one of the Materials Management/Facilities guys I've worked with for years. He told me a secret (guess it's not really a secret if I post it here, eh?) about my office. He asked Elvis if he could have my c-suite office after my year is over. Elvis said no, that he wasn't planning on moving me from Administration and no, Bob couldn't have the office. Even though this was third-party, it boosted my spirits through the sky. Then again, the sun brilliantly shone all day and maybe THAT's what boosted my spirits.

Then on Wednesday, I loaded my house onto my back and took 2 days' worth of clothing and stuff with me as I went into work for a few hours. I had to be downtown Chicago for 11:30 am, so I only had a few hours to work. Nurse Jackie and I worked on a couple things and the morning zipped by. Next thing I knew, it was time to drive downtown.

Now let me tell you, I'm getting better at driving in Chicago. The highways are fine, I know where I'm going, but I'm still intimidated by inner-city streets. However, I was on the Dan Ryan into town and a car went screaming past me at 100mph+++ . Then about 16 cop cars were weaving in and out of traffic, trying to catch the assailant. Yes, I found myself in the middle of a high-speed chase and kept envisioning myself on an episode of Cops. Worse yet, one of my co-workers died that way (by being hit by a high-spped assailant), so my nerves were just awful.

With jangled nerves, I drove to the Four Seasons. Luckily, they have a fast valet service and check-in service, so I was up in my 39th floor room in about 5 minutes. This was my view...

My room was just...well...incredible. I see why they can charge $400-600 a night for the place. They think of EVERYTHING. Not only is everything down-stuffed and wonderful, they had top-rate toiletries, flat screen plasma tv's, surround sound cd player, and a tub that rivaled ancient Rome. I have an affinity for tubs and this one was great. When Jack joined me Wednesday night, I knew he'd take a man-bath (a Math). I instantly wanted to crawl into the bed and just relax.

However, I was in town for the Medical Executive Leadership Retreat. This is where administrators and physicians hang out and create relationships. So after noon, I left my wonderful room and went down to the Four Seasons dining room...where we noshed on wonderful shrimp, tortellini, goat cheese and pancetta-stuffed chicken, and espresso cheesecake. During lunch, I kept wondering why I wasn't nervous for my presentation. I was scheduled to speak at 3:00 and it was noon...when would the nerves hit?

Well, the nerves DID hit. But not until I was delayed from 3 to 4:00 pm. I was ready to go and I had the new Black Eyed Peas song stuck in my head ("Imma Be") and felt empowered. I then had to sit there while one of the lawyers went on and on about risk management. I was okay, though, and went on-stage with a glowing introduction from Elvis.

I took the stage and rocked it. I never really felt nervous because I KNOW my material. It came out naturally and conversationally. I fielded some questions and it was over. That was it! I sat down, still wondering when the nerves would really hit.

I was next-to-last for the day, so after the final presentation, the group dispersed and I went back up to my room. Passing through the Four Seasons lobby, I saw the back of Jack's head. Reunited! We had about two hours before we were expected for dinner at the Signature Room, we perused the Williams-Sonoma and stopped in for a quick glass of vino at Jilly's, our favorite Rush Street haunt.

Then we went to dinner at Signature Lounge. Thank goodness, it was a clear night and the view from the 95th floor of Hancock was amazing as always. We hob-nobbed with some docs and Jack did so well talking to everyone. He ordered the filet and I, trying to be healthy, ordered grouper. It came with some bright-green herb-rub smeared all over it, eliciting all sorts of Dr. Seuss rhymes in my head (Green Eggs and Fish? One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Green Fish?). Jack, my valiant partner, shared some of his filet with me (after a fair bit of prompting on my part!). Dinner went until after 10 and we were zonked. We retired to our room at the Four Seasons.

The next morning, I rolled out of bed and hit my morning line-up of meetings. Jack hit the gym and took his math (should I admit that?!). My meetings concluded at noon and we had three hours before we needed to get ready for the First Look. So we walked around WaterTower Mall and lunched at Gibson's on Rush. Deciding to stay on the frugal side, we ordered sandwiches. Prime Rib sandwiches. When the sandwich melts in your mouth, you know you've found a good thing. Luckily for us, Jilly's is right across from Gibson's, so we have two favorite haunts on Rush now. It was oddly relaxing to take our time over a late lunch, enjoying the world's best Prime Rib.

Eventually, though, we had to return to the hotel and get dressed for First Look. Jack donned his tux and I slipped into my LBD. We ended up escorting Sister Lourdes to the Auto Show too, as we left at the same time. That was...interesting! Sister took shotgun while Jack navigated the city streets at rush hour.

We made it to McCormick Place and to the Auto Show. St. Fozzie's had its own hospitality suite with an open bar and world-class eats. We talked with other ceo's in Muppetville, Board members, and other people I work with daily. It was fun to see everyone in their duds.

After an hour or so, we left the suite and entered the auto show proper. It was GREAT. They take the velvet ropes down and you can climb all over the cars and live out your wildest dreams. I loved the Shelby, the new Lexus sportscar convertible (yeah, right!), and most importantly, the two-door Nissan Altima sports coupe. It was my favorite and promise it'll be my next car.
We ambled around the car exhibits for a couple hours, sipping champagne, sitting in many cars, and catching up with several of my co-workers. I highly recommend the experience and we'll attend this event again next year.

We drove home (no high speed chases on the Dan Ryan, thank you!) and hit Wendy's on the way home. We were so into the cars that we forgot to eat the appetizers at the First Look!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, isn't that "Jack" in the corner??!??!? Not so slick, Dorrie!

    ReplyDelete