Monday, March 1, 2010

Boring Puppies

YouTube tipped me off to this newest Puppy Cam. They're so cute. They're so fluffy!

They're so boring. Whenever I tune in, they're sleeping.

Do you have better luck seeing some puppy action?

No, I'm not procrastinating. Why on earth would you think that?

Today completely rocked. I ran a Stroke Alert meeting this morning, drafted a version of the administrative policy (yawn), got some other policy/paperwork crap done, and then drove across town for my first PI in Surgery project! This is my first official foray into process improvement and I'm facilitating this bad boy all by myself. It went really well and I feel great about the beginning to this new project. We're trying to fix some of the duplicative charting that occurs between the Electronic Medical Record and Pre-Operative Holding. Some of the surgery nurses are tough cookies and they're actually on board with this project. It'll make everyone's lives easier, free up more time for EMR charting, let me practice facilitating Lean Six Sigma process improvements, and give one of the surgery nurses a chance to take a leadership role.

Then I was in my office, actually getting to work, and I received a voicemail from the Director of the Foundation. We hired a grant-writer to finish writing some of the grants St. Fozzie hopes to receive. This grant-writer wrote a draft and the Director asked me to please edit it. After a quick glance, I figured out why...it takes this grant-writer sixteen words to say "Hi."

It's fabulous. Really. I can't believe we're paying this person to write wordy and verbose half-truths.

Then Elvis and EVOO gathered in the hallway (three of our office doors are in the corner of Admin) and Nurse Jackie and I gathered them. We stood around for an hour discussing the state of the system's financials. The system's financials. Since when do I care about financials? I guess since I started understanding what they mean. Progress, eh?!

Then, after a 12-hour day, I packed up the grant I have to edit, the stroke minutes I need to complete, and the leadership stuff I have to finish reading for tomorrow, and hit the road. My starbucks is about finished brewing.

So I'm procrastinating and watching puppies sleep...got a problem with that?!?

4 comments:

  1. I just clicked on the Puppy Cam and they were playing and fighting! Quite possibly, they were trying to emulate the mating act, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just what is on your mind....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I live alone. At least I'm looking at puppies play-fighting online (instead of other, more risque things that one can find online!).

    Back to re-writing this disaster of a grant. Stop distracting me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, totally sleeping for my viewing too! I had to watch for a minute to make sure it was an actual video and not a still shot. Very boring! Of course, a "Sugar-Cam" would not elicit much excitement either!

    ReplyDelete