I'm enjoying a rare bit of peace this Sunday afternoon. The sun is shining through the gently-swaying leaves of our mighty elm tree. It's 72 degrees and I can't imagine a more perfect weather-day in Chicagoland. So, of course, I'm frittering away the beautiful day while I prepare for my upcoming week. Hey, at least I'm out on the deck!
I've come to a critical place in my life and I think this is the reason for the peace I feel in the still, deep waters of my spirit. This whole entire year has been so very tough...I don't have to list the trials and challenges Jack and I faced with our jobs and houses and families and futures. It's intense, but I know others have worse trials than we do. I've had some difficult situations at work, but at least I have a job and a career path that I love.
The fact of the matter is that I have a choice concerning all of this. I can mope around, sad for what could have been. I can look back and wonder why things had to happen to me. I can spend my days in some sort of funk, feeling sorry for myself.
Or I can take a minute and get over it. All of it. My dear friend, Lula, has a quote that I had to steal and adopt for myself:
"Life is too short to be anything other than happy."
Happiness is a choice and I completely agree with Lula...that life is too short to be anything other than happy.
Thank you to all my friends who have gotten me through the rockiest month of my life.
Thank YOU for being such an amazing person and writer. I caught up on your blogs earlier today, and posts like your September 11th post are such thought-provoking, sincere pieces. Every time I'm not my usual sunny, upbeat self, you always have a "tidbit" to put things in perspective! :)
ReplyDelete