Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dream Metaphor

So I had this psychedelic dream last night, that I survived what can only be described as Hollywood movie fodder.

And no, I didn't get to play Courteney Cox...although, if I had to cast this screenplay, I would pick Courteney for me and Keanu Reeves for Jack. As I examine my dreams, I always look for ties to my real life (what I will note in my parentheses). I believe that dreams are your mind's way of working out your current predicament.

Anyway, Jack and I were wandering around my old high school and school had recently dismissed for the summer. The gym locker room, emptied of people's belongings, had clumps of raw hamburger and meat refuse strewn about (this is from Jack and I reading Upton Sinclair's Jungle). The meat, in a matter of moments, went from fresh-from-your-local-meatcase to liquefied-gross-horror-movie props. Suddenly, maggots filled the available surface of the meat (from my poor patient with the maggot infestation). Nauseated by the maggot scene, Jack and I fled the school and ran into the parking lot (ah, sweet relief!).

The school bordered a busy highway (just like the interstate I drive every day). Almost directly above us, I spotted the horrific sight of a jetliner spinning, out of control, to the ground (Elvis' office is full of Lost paraphernalia). The plane wasn't going to hit us, but it was going to smash into the traffic on the road. But with the velocity and trajectory of the plane, I could tell it was going to throw a semi truck our way and flatten us. In the milliseconds after the plane hit the highway in a burst of flames and drove the semi toward the school, Jack and I simultaneously threw ourselves to the ground. The semi was hurled over our heads, missing us by mere inches. It was a move that Keanu would've been proud of in The Matrix.

Gazing upon the utter destruction on the highway, we found a group of scared and shocked-looking soccer moms in a Model T car (probably taken from the mob history I'm currently reading). The Model T had a joyjohn strapped to the back and that's where the moms put the kids so they would be safe from the chaos on the highway (I always see joyjohns in transport on the highway!). Except that Jack volunteered to sit back there so the kids and me could sit in the car.

Such chivalry!

I don't remember anything after that, but I do remember waking up feeling very relieved. I think that dream was my mind's way of making sense of my current chaos and despite the explosions, the maggots, and the near collisions, I survived. I survived the catastrophe!

On a totally unrelated note: St. Fozzie's has good lawyers. :0)

1 comment:

  1. Funny - I have a dream story to tell you, that I can directly relate to my life. I will email you as it is too gross for the general public. :)

    ReplyDelete