Monday, April 13, 2009

Real Men Polka

It's true, that only real men polka as few men would willingly (and soberly) perch on their tip-toes to perform a fast accordian-based polka. You can't help but smile when you're spinning around the room as a member of the Polish twinkletoes.

As I endured one of my legendary 14-hour days today, I arrived home to the best of Laurence Welk's polkas blaring in the kitchen. Jack presented me with a steaming plate of the finest Polish left-overs and I don't even think I took my coat off before I dove into the plate. I have a weakness for noodles and while I'm usually pretty health-conscious, I do partake in a kielbasa (or three) between Easter and Dyngus Day. It's one of those foods that if you close your eyes, the calories don't count, right? However, after steadily eating nothing but ham, kielbasa, noodles, spuds, green beans, and lamb cake, we still have a ton of leftovers in the fridge. We need the Iron Chef show to come and do an episode in our kitchen. Jack can battle Bobbie Flay and they can do.......BATTLE LEFT-OVERs! Either that, or you guys are all invited to come over tomorrow evening and help us kill the leftovers!

So we did polka a bit yesterday (outside, I might add, to the neighbors' delight), but we didn't capture it on film. Instead, I leave you with the before and after pics of our centerpiece, the pascal lamb:


5 comments:

  1. you're supposed to use raisins, not jelly beans, for their eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom ran out of raisins and had to substitute black jelly beans! It was an 80's lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This neighbor did not get to see said polka! Next year, sell tickets!!! Your noodles were awesome and my stomach is growling at the thought of them! I think that I have food issues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saffy and I made 5 or 6 dozen rosky on Saturday and we got kielbasa that had been imported from New York. It was HEAVENLY and reminiscent of the year we sat in Christology gorging on (and subsequently burping up) Polish sausage during class. Those were the days... Mr. E.D. (hmmm... we should find a better name for him...) has yet to develop a fine palate for the sausage and he said he just can't tell the difference between the expensive stuff and Hillshire farms. Sacrilege!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Where are the leftovers you promised me?? :)

    ReplyDelete