Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm a Barbie ShortStop

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out."
-Robert Collier

I like this expression, but it kind of reminds me about how people define "insanity" as doing the same thing, day in and day out, and expecting a different result. Maybe insanity and success aren't too far apart on that spectrum! I'm still in survival mode, so success and insanity are both fair game at this point.

I felt like a veritable Barbie doll today. Not in the 38-22-36 kind of way, but because I wore a cute black skirt at work...With a pink dress shirt...And patent leather heels. If I had a dollar for every time I was glanced up and down, well, I wouldn't be sweating this dual mortgage situation so much! All kidding aside, it IS interesting how even my secretary did a double-take when I walked in this morning (she keeps fussing over me). It's almost like people can't understand how you can play Shortstop on the hospital softball team, hit a triple, and be a girl the next morning again! I don't really care because skirts are infinitely cooler than full suits and it's only 94 degrees in the shade.

I'm trying to prove myself, that even as a young WOMAN, I have some wit to share. For example, I participate in ongoing banter with the COO. Every day, he catches me at a very random moment and quickly asks me what the 'word of the day' is. At first, I was studious and would answer, "Leadership!" or "transparency!" or other ass-kissing suggestions. Now, I fire back things like "perspicacious" or "onomatopoeia." I have to be careful, though, because he'll sometimes ask me to define my word choice. Whoops!

It's very interesting...my biggest challenges so far aren't in regard to living 90 miles away from my husband, learning a crazy highway system, or learning how to RUN A HOSPITAL, but when I'm asserting myself in a man's world. Some of the guys are rather cheeky and as soon as I leave the room, I can almost hear the comments being said about me. But I keep pressing on, knowing that some day, I will have earned their respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment