Thursday, December 10, 2009

Floridian Conference Experience

My conference went well. It wasn't a life-changing week, but it was certainly a good experience. I learned a lot, namely, that every hospital in the US is facing the same issues and obstacles and that writing is a very valid form of reflection. Presentations went well and I received requests from the Indiana Hospital Association and American Hospital Association to publish some of our work in their journals. This coincidentally dovetails with the publication workshops I attended on Sunday.

Just in case you were wondering, flying from Orland to Chicago IS a headache, as I went from 86 and sunny to 6 degrees and blizzard snow. My sinuses threatened to implode and they're still tenuous this morning. With every step I took toward my freezing cold, abandoned car in the airport parking lot, I internally cursed Indiana weather. Then I corrected my curses to reflect the change in my geography…I now had to modify my hatred to include Illinois! I'm grateful for my house and heat and warm clothes, but it's so cold. Did I mention that our plane was cleared to land only because some poor gentleman onboard had a heart attack? We would probably still be circling over Chicago!

Because of the frenetic pace of the conference and scary, scary travel conditions returning to Chicagoland last night, I haven't slept more than 5 hours a night for the past week. I just need to get through work today and I promised myself I would be in bed reading the next Twilight novel by 8:30 pm tonight. [WHOOPS! Did I just admit I was reading the Twilight series? True confessions of a closet teenage novel reader!]. My defenses are down when I'm exhausted, so I will fill you in on Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, more of the conference details, and some other random stuff percolating in my head when I've had a chance to rest up a bit.