Saturday, December 12, 2009

Snow Days

Ushering in the first snowstorm of the season, I will reflect on snow days. When the flakes are flying fast and furiously, I love sitting on my couch, snuggled in a thick blanket, and watching the snow fall. I don't mind the snow if I can stay indoors (if I must travel, my regard for the snow flips 180 degrees and I start making my plans to move to Florida). When the snow machine kicks up into gear, I love watching the closings that run across the bottom of the television screen (or when the school closings are announced on the radio). It relaxes me to see that some folks get the day off.

One time a couple years ago, I was driving white-knuckled to work through a white-out, praying I could drive the winding road by memory. I was angry that I was out there, risking life and limb to get to work. At that early hour, I couldn't understand why the world couldn't stop for one measly day. What would we lose from one short day off on account of snow? If anything, it would serve as a refresher, a bonus day during which people could slow down and regroup.

As soon as I got to work, I discovered it was a snow day and the office was closed until noon!

When I was younger, I would wait and wait and wait for school to be closed. I attended a massive school system and school was only canceled if roads were truly impassible. Inevitably, we'd still have a day or two off every year. But when they announced our school closure, I'd get so excited that I could never go back to sleep and savor the day off. I should have known then that something was wrong with me! Even though I will never have another school-related snow day, I still find myself watching the bottom of the tv (or listening close to the radio) to see if my daily obligations have been formally excused on account of snow.

1 comment:

  1. I know... here comes the comments from the snow-loving dork!! I couldn't help but just stare at the picture next to your post! Oh how I wish it was South Bend right now! I can almost "hear" the silence that the picture holds and I long for that slow down mode it brings.
    Having said that, I get your white-knuckle, let's move to Florida experience as you drive the streets after such a snow! Anyway, GO SNOW!

    ReplyDelete