"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."-Mario Andretti
Just when I start feeling comfortable or not "crazy busy" for once, I know it's time to step up and take on something new.
While this can pertain to the "speed of life," I understand it in light of my development. What I'm still discerning is when to push the envelope or to let things be as-is. It's a fundamental facet of my personality to not upset people too much (hello, people pleaser!). In this role, I've been encouraged to step over people, roll over people, and pretty much just disregard how things have been done in the past.
While this can pertain to the "speed of life," I understand it in light of my development. What I'm still discerning is when to push the envelope or to let things be as-is. It's a fundamental facet of my personality to not upset people too much (hello, people pleaser!). In this role, I've been encouraged to step over people, roll over people, and pretty much just disregard how things have been done in the past.
I can't do that. Not yet, anyway. I'm not sure that responsible leadership does that. I'm also not sure if certain senior leaders are testing me to see just what I do in these situations. It's one more thing I'm sorting out as I go.
So as part of my "comfort zone" consists of this new, foreign style of interaction. I usually regard authority and policies pretty well. I'm a Rules Girl. When people push me to disregard those structures, I get nervous. I tend to step back. I remove myself from the situation, lest I be charged with rule-breaking. I hate rule-breaking unless I've previously determined the inadequacy or inconsistency of the rules. This takes time and research on my part!
This quote helped me gain some insight about this comfort zone of mine. While I might always be flying through life at 100 m.p.h. (and gratefully so), things might seem under control because I'm not challenging them enough. It's another balancing act I'm trying to learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment