That's code for, "Please pass the wine!" Just kidding. I'm too tired to drink. Pass the lemonade!
Since the conference was basically in my back yard (so to speak), I decided to drive up this morning. I knew traffic would be hairy with the Eisenhower and Congress Parkway under construction and the trip might take me an hour. Two and a half hours later, I was trying not to scream at the sheer volume of cars, forever swearing to never travel that stretch of road ever again on a Wednesday morning. I drove less than 5 mph for an hour and ten minutes. I think I wore down my brakes in one commute.
So I was late in arriving to the conference. Such is life. It was awesome, I met some wonderful contacts from neighboring health systems in the Chicago area, and actually learned several things about current and projected stroke regs, the importance of integrated stroke care, and how to pin down an ROI for things like an $800k neurosurgeon's salary. Plus, they had really good snacks and the center of each group's work table was filled with slinkys, toy cars, rubik's cubes, and other fidgety, ADD-relieving items.
I learned a great deal about strategic planning and plan to return to subsequent conferences. I was scheduled to meet EVOO in the city to talk career opportunities and so I quickly departed the conference venue and hit the road. Traffic was as bad (or as my jangled nerves will tell you, worse) than this morning. In fact, I got bored sitting there, going 5 mph again, and I started taking pictures of the goofballs around me in traffic.
Okay, and one shameless skyline shot. I can't help it. It's my favorite skyline in the world.
Anyway, after traffic started moving (yawn), I met EVOO downtown for dinner. It was the first time I drove in the city without a map or directions. Better yet, it was the first time I was on the recruiting end of the table, telling him what I'm looking for in a permanent administrative position. It's nice to be wanted, needed, and wooed.
When I started this job, I had three goals: 1) To survive. 2) To learn a lot and make a difference at St. Fozzie's. 3) To do so well that people fight over me when my assignment is finished.
So far, all three have panned out. And I had no idea how difficult it would be to make a decision if people DID fight over me! I got what I wished for and it's not that easy. In fact, I'm more confused than ever! I set up an appointment with Jim Henson next week and will hopefully receive some clarity on my paths here.
But for right now, for this moment, I'll (say it with me) just keep swimming. Or, y'know, we can blow up that lightbulb fish for trying to eat us and then maybe make him drive the Chicago expressways as punishment!
CONGRATS!!!! When do you have to make a decision? I'll just have to bug you on facebook about this one.
ReplyDelete