Well, I had my first sick day in years. My first NON-surgical sick day, that is. I was at work last fall (in the old job) when I came down with appendicitis on a Thursday. I worked Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. I finally called the doctor about my excruciating pain and she told me I better go to the ER immediately. So I did the logical thing and finished up my work for the week before driving myself to the ER.I had my appendix out about 2 hours later. I remember calling Therese, asking her to close my curtains and take care of the dog because I was in the hospital, about to have surgery. She was fabulous and didn't bat an eye about helping out a friend in need. It was also midterm week in school and I had two massive midterms the following Monday (Stats) and Wednesday (Law). I stayed home from work a few days, giving myself time to study. And yes, I took those exams!
I had another sicky experience during midterms during spring semester of 2008. I came down with a terrible flu bug at 7:48 on a Sunday evening. My midterms that semester were Tuesday and Wednesday nights. The Tuesday night midterm was for US Healthcare Policy and the professor was a nazi from Hell (and that's being nice). I floated through work those couple of days, holding the flu symptoms at bay with massive amounts of medication. Then I finally went to take the three hour exam and my fever flared up badly. I distinctly remember putting the exam paper up to my face; the coolness of the paper felt fabulous next to face, on fire from the raging fever! One of my friends in class always laughs at this story. That's how I truly know I'm sick...when I want to put papers on my face to cool the fever.
Fast forward to Tuesday afternoon. I had several key presentations on Tuesday, one regarding Corporate Ethics, one to lay out my strategic plan and obtain buy-in from senior leadership, one to lead the stroke designation planning efforts, and one to explain my house-wide savings tracking and how I've documented $4.6M savings for St. Fozzie's.
It was in that last meeting, the stroke designation committee, when I fought the temptation to lay my face on a stack of paper to cool my hot face. Prepared for the occasion, I ran back to my office and took a large gulp of DayQuil, right from the bottle. I survived that last meeting and at 5pm, drug myself back to my office. Facing stacks of files, reports, and charts to review, I succumbed and laid my head down on my desk. I swear I had a quick dream and was startled awake by my secretary dashing in to give me a few messages. She laughed and told me I needed a cab home. I purposefully left all that work at the office, so I wouldn't be tempted to work last night.
I woke up this morning at 5am, unable to even get out of bed. The body aches made me feel like I was in a car wreck, the shaking chills were downright terrible, and my throat felt like I swallowed a batch of razorblades. I was supposed to be on the road today, visiting physician offices for physician partnership and recruitment. Blech. My personal philosophy is that if I can get out of bed, I go to work. Well today, I couldn't get out of bed. Literally.
So I texted Elvis and EVOO. Elvis wrote back within a few minutes and this was his response (verbatim): "If u r sick u should take care of urself. Hope u feel better 2." This is the regional CEO talking in "teen-ese." I cracked up at his shorthand response, then broke out into a wracking coughing fit. Thank goodness for kleenex, Vick's, apple juice, and Theraflu!



I'm sorry you feel so terrible, but that's kinda funny! I can just picture you cooling off your face on a stack of paper!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're staying home...it's not a sign of weakness, no matter what your sick little brain thinks!!! With all the press on the flu, I'm surprised they let you work as long as they did. Take care and PUH-LEASE stop and smell the Theraflu!