As I sit here, sipping my hot chocolate and trying to ignore my raging sore throat, I'm typing on a brand new laptop. It's pretty. It weighs almost nothing. It's fast. It's...white and chrome.Is it weird when your computer sort of matches your refrigerator?
Oh well!
I've known my laptop was limping along, wavering between life and death. Jack has had to recover data a couple times now and we knew it was just a matter of time before it went to the repair shop in the sky (even though I just bought that laptop in early 2007). Regardless, we had no idea it would die while I was working on two huge projects for work. We had no idea it would die while I was walking to the other room to back up my work and email the files to everyone. I'm chalking it up to the fact that I was working on a Sunday and I should have been keeping the Sabbath holy!
When Jack couldn't resuscitate it, he ripped the harddrive out of the old laptop, and we jumped in the car to Best Buy. The Geek Squad wanted $100 to transfer data and Jack thought he could figure it out. So I bought the refrigerator laptop and Jack headed to his office to attempt the impossible. He called an hour later, voice full of glee, that he was able to save everything!
So my presentations, reports, and flowcharts were safe. Not to mention my seven vacations' worth of pictures and 2.5 years' worth of music files! Yes, yes, I know. I should have been backing up my files. I DO back up my work, but my external drive just notified me the other day that it was FULL. So even though I usually back up my work, it still bit me in the rear today!
The only crappy thing is that my immune system formally cried, "Uncle!" and I'm sick. My throat's on fire and I'm feeling feverish, but at least I have homemade chicken soup that I brought back to Chicagoland with me. I'm fighting a pretty sizable homesickness tonight, as Jack and I winterized our house this weekend. We put all the patio furniture away, recaulked and weatherstripped a few things, and I got all the autumn decorations out. So just as I got the house feeling all homey and cozy, I packed up and left. I keep reminding myself that I'm doing this to achieve my dreams. But it never gets any easier.
Awww, hon. That must really suck. I have to give you props, I'm not exactly sure how you're doing this week in and week out. Hopefully Jack will come visit you more often in winter so you can stay in your house and make your Chicago house feel more like home?
ReplyDelete