Wednesday, July 22, 2009

No Longer a Novice

Just another day at the office! Today was the medical staff golf outing (one of the more gracious events St. Fozzie's hosts to honor the physicians). Gratefully, the rain held off and the games went as scheduled. I actually had a good time, talking with the docs and figuring out how the administration-physician relationship works. I honed my golf cart-driving skills, learning how to take corners on two wheels. I solicited some advice on my golf swing. It was all-you-can-drink out there today and many folks were sweating beer by the end of the day. I abstained...well, until cocktail hour.

I nursed a Merlot and mingled with docs and administrators. Conversation flows easily when you witnessed Dr. Badaim ricochet several balls off trees and Dr. Nostyle get yelled at by the country club staff for wearing a sleeveless shirt! Plus, several of the doctors are on my softball team, which creates a lot of cocktail fodder. [We had a game last night and I made several beautiful plays at Shortstop until I threw a terrible throw, making an ER doc overstretch at First base and hurt his hamstring!] I had the most fun giving the Risk Management guys a bunch of crap for drinking multiple beers at a work function!

Anyway, it was a good time until after cocktail hour. As soon as everyone was served their first course, a bariatric surgeon commenced a presentation on the how's and why's of gastric bypass surgery. It had explicit pictures...and for the non-clinical folks among us, it was a bit graphic for dinnertime! We all thought it a bit ironic that the medical staff nominated this guy to talk about bariatric surgery when we were in the process of stuffing our faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment