Belize started off roughly. We had to tender to shore (picture big, two story, high-speed ferries) and the tender ride was 20 minutes. Upon reaching shore, we climbed into a speed boat that was taking us to the barrier reef, to Bannister Caye, and to watch manatees in their habitat. The boat driver told us to hold on tight and take off our hats. Jack and I love boats and figured it couldn't be THAT rough, right? Yeah, I sort of wondered if I had internal bleeding from the massive force in which we smashed into and over the waves. It was a 20+ mile trip out to the island and another few miles out to the reef. I was *very* sore the next day. But it was worth it for these views:
After our bone-jarring boat ride, we hopped into a bath-water ocean (I love it when ocean swimming doesn't shock you body into hypothermia). The snorkeling was a bit scary, as we were miles out to sea, on top of a huge reef, while the tide was rolling in. A few times, the waves rolled over my breathing tube...I became really skillful at clearing that tube! At the end of the snorkel tour, we were *really* close to the (stinging) coral and I spent more time worrying about where my flippers were, then studying the fabulous sea life:


After the harrowing snorkel trip (okay, it wasn't THAT scary), we boated back to the island and hung out for a couple hours. The private island, accessible only by boat, was full of relaxation-inducing paraphernalia!


Yes, those are my feet in the hammock. I have lots of pictures of us in the hammocks (I think there were six hammocks in that thatched porch), but they all have faces in them. I'm trying to protect all parties involved! Needless to say, we could have spent the whole week in those hammocks, y'know, if we had Pedro the Poolboy to bring us frozen drinks and wave palm fronds to cool us.
After departing the island, we trolled some of the manatee grounds, looking for some manatees in their habitats. We saw a few, from a distance. Then we saw one great big female who swam *right* under us and threatened to overturn our boat! She doesn't look that intimidating here, but I thought we were goners.


After the harrowing snorkel trip (okay, it wasn't THAT scary), we boated back to the island and hung out for a couple hours. The private island, accessible only by boat, was full of relaxation-inducing paraphernalia!
Yes, those are my feet in the hammock. I have lots of pictures of us in the hammocks (I think there were six hammocks in that thatched porch), but they all have faces in them. I'm trying to protect all parties involved! Needless to say, we could have spent the whole week in those hammocks, y'know, if we had Pedro the Poolboy to bring us frozen drinks and wave palm fronds to cool us.
After departing the island, we trolled some of the manatee grounds, looking for some manatees in their habitats. We saw a few, from a distance. Then we saw one great big female who swam *right* under us and threatened to overturn our boat! She doesn't look that intimidating here, but I thought we were goners.
After the adventures in Belize, we returned to the ship, napped, and resumed our hourly feeding schedules. That's the thing with cruise ships; food is everywhere. Even on the pool deck and midnight! It was a fantastic trip and we cannot wait to book our next cruise. We're totally addicted to cruising now. Hmm. I wonder what that twelve step program would entail? :-)

And why, exactly, can't I hate you based on these pictures? Next time, I'm going! Yep, you heard me, I'm going!
ReplyDelete